It’s a long time with no updates, so let’s fix it. This is Naku the Cat, my first mobile game. Naku the Cat is an arcade game about soap bubbles and a cat who wants to catch them all. Naku is dreaming and it lasts until Naku misses nine bubbles. Catching multiple bubbles with a single paw swipe counts as combo, more bubbles, more bonus score. Normal paw has limited range but with SUPERPAW power up Naku can temporarily reach higher.
The game has been on development for couple of month now, here’s some pics from progress.
A sketch about the idea, drawn by my wife:
Version 0.4 with placeholder graphics and random bubble spawning:
Version 0.21 includes work-in-process graphics and menus, moving background, some particle effects and gradually speeding bubbles
I have learned a lot of things during development. One the biggest obstacles was how to deal with all the different screen sizes and aspect ratios. I decided to use fixed aspect ratio 16:9, which is scaled to fit on the screen. I chose 16:9 because the wide screens are majority, especially on tablets. The black bars are added to up/down or left/right if needed. Devs from Clash of the Olympians explains how I did it.
Drawing text on the screen sounded an easy task at first but it was far from it. I tried to use a font with one size only and to scale it up and down when I needed different sizes. But no matter which texture filter settings I used, scaled fonts looked always bad, especially when downscaled. So I ended up to use four different font texture sizes. They increases the game total size a little bit but it is worth it.
A lot of work has been done but to-do list is still quite long: graphics polishing, sound effects, music, menu transitions, some animation and game balance. And of course playtesting.